Monday, March 14, 2016

I’m prompting you, behavior changers: Think before you prompt!


As we have discussed in class, “prompts” (short, simple reminders to perform a desired behavior, presented in close proximity to the desired behavior) are all around us. We constantly see signs telling us to “turn off the lights” and we receive emails reminding us to “pay your bill!” While prompts are relatively cheap, easy to implement, and have been shown by various studies to have a considerable effect on behavior, other studies have shown negligible impacts (Katzev & Johnson, 1987). Given the unreliability of prompts, should behavior change practitioners be more cautious of utilizing and recommending the use of prompts?  

Given the age of information overload that we live in, how well can prompts really compete for our attention against other information like advertisements (some of which may be prompts themselves), and other environment-related prompts? Do you think we might be more successful in at least combining prompts with other tactics, such as leveraging social norms, feedback, modeling and commitment? For example, in the Aronson & O’Leary (1983) study, prompting alone was only half as effective at increasing water conservation behavior than prompting combined with modeling. Should we also take greater care in considering the influence of various characteristics of prompts, such as whether the prompt is also normative or not? (“Recycle your cup: 80% of the students in this dorm do it!”)

My point is not to say that prompts do not work (there is evidence that they can), or that we should abandon prompts entirely. However, I think it is important to periodically “prompt” ourselves, as current or future behavior change practitioners, to carefully consider whether a prompt (and what kind of prompt) is appropriate in any given situation. We shouldn't simply adopt prompts in general as our “weapon of choice” or always encourage colleagues to use prompts. We must carefully consider the specific situation.

A few tips to help us critically analyze whether a prompt is the appropriate intervention tool for the given situation:
  • Are we indeed trying to change a behavior, rather than an attitude or value?
  •  Is the desired behavior one that someone might otherwise forget to do? Is the desired behavior relatively easy to do and non-demanding?
  • Is the prompt specific in its requested behavior and easy to understand?
  •  Can the prompt be placed in a noticeable position close to the point of behavior (both physically and temporally)?

If you answered yes to these questions, a prompt might indeed be an effective intervention tool for your situation. However, due to the overwhelming amount of information (especially visual information) that people are faced with everyday, I would still encourage you to think critically about your audience and whether your specific prompt will be able to rise above the noise that your target is faced with every day. What is your audience motivated by? What is important to them? Can you combine your prompt with other techniques like normative information or portray a messenger in your prompt that your audience trusts and respects?

What are some examples you have seen of prompts that you think are appropriate (or not)? What other characteristics are included in the prompt message that might also make it more effective (or not)? How can we ensure that prompts are not over-utilized to the point where they become too common and thus ineffective?

References:
1) Katzev, R. D. & T. R. Johnson (1987). Antecedent communications: Prompts. (Chapter 2). Promoting Energy Conservation: An Analysis of Behavioral Research. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
2) Aronson, E. & M. O’Leary (1982W1983). The relative effectiveness of models and prompts on energy conservation: A field experiment in a shower room. Journal of Environmental Systems, 12: 219W224.
 




2 comments:

  1. I just wrote a long response to this and when I went to post it, something happened and it went to a Google log out page and when I clicked "go back" instead of "log out" it dumped my post. -.-

    So I had talked about how I agree that prompts alone are not enough, based on my own experience. I gave the example of how I have my phone alarm set to go off at 10pm each night, to remind me that it's time to take my medicine. However, if my phone is off, not near me, or if I dismiss the alarm and don't do it right away, it doesn't work and I forget to take it. I have actually thought about this a few times in the last few weeks as my ability to keep track of things seems to be diminishing as I get older and as I load more onto my plate so, I was thinking perhaps a viable solution would be to put a sticky note on my mirror so when I go to brush my teeth at night (which is much more habitual because I never forget to do that as part of my bedtime routine) I would see the prompt and take my medicine. I think I'm actually going to do this.

    I had also mentioned something I wanted to tell everyone in discussion last Friday but didn't get a chance to say it...when I took Environmental Communications in my undergrad we learned, at the same time we were learning about the petrified wood study and the littering in a littered or unlittered environment w/model v. w/o model study, that visual image prompts are more effective than text prompts. Some examples I provided are a) when I park in the parking garage it is much easier for me to remember what level I parked on by the color than the number b) the water intake tracker on the Fitbit site c) the woman who designed the paper towel dispenser to look like you were depleting a tree as you took paper towel from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that prompts on their own may often be ineffective as intervention strategies. Prompts like "Save the Planet" make many assumptions about the mental linkages (or mental maps) that readers of the prompt possess. To one reader, "save the planet" might be an invocation to recycle more. To another reader, "save the planet" might mean buy more products labeled as "natural." The intent of the messaging isn't clear, and there is danger of misinterpretation. The prompt relies on whatever concepts the individual associates with the message. Some procedural knowledge or suggestion is needed to advise readers on HOW to save the planet.

    I encountered a similarly frustrating prompt the other day while taking out the recycling at my apartment complex. Some well-meaning individual had written chastising messages on all of the lids of the recycling bins: "Human beings sort these bins.", "Why would you put garbage in this bin?!", and "Have consideration for the people who sort these bins!" are a few examples of some of these messages. These messages are seemingly at the decision point of the behavior, but I would argue that such a reminder would be better made within the apartments, where people do their sorting. I also STRONGLY resented this attempt to guilt trip residents while they attempt to practice an environmentally responsible behavior. The stickers on the lids of the cans explaining which items can be recycled were so worn that they were nearly illegible. It could be that people are unintentionally putting unrecyclable items in the bins because they lack the necessary procedural knowledge to properly recycle. Another landlord of mine provided large magnets on the apartment fridge, which explained which items are recyclable within the Ann Arbor waste management system. We were also given small green recycling bins to facilitate recycling. This prompt was extremely effective, because I believe it also triggered a normative response. The magnet and bin indicated to me that recycling was a common practice within the new building. It also presented me with clear, procedural knowledge as to how to recycle. Consequently, I was much more deliberate about sorting my recyclabes while living at my former apartment. After being asked to consider the hardships faced by recycling sorters, I thought about double checking which items are accepted by the A2 system, but I ultimately didn't. I was too irritated by my fellow apartment-dwellers condescension to comply with their request.

    ReplyDelete